Cannabis: The New Canadian Powerhouse
With the passing of the Cannabis Act in June of 2018, Canada made a bold statement on the world stage. Nearly a year has passed, and the subsequent developments for Canadian businesses involved in cannabis have emerged as one of the top business stories worldwide. Consider these events that have helped to legitimize the industry and attract investment:
- The Toronto Stock Exchange designated several large cannabis companies as belonging in the Health Care sector
- Canopy Growth, Tilray and Cronos were successful in listing on the New York Stock Exchange
- BNN Bloomberg created a new reporting segment entitled “Cannabis Canada”
- The National Post created a new subscriber newsletter called “Cannabis Post”.
- Multi-billion-dollar investments/ commitments by Constellation Brands, Molson Coors, and Altria stabilized the balance sheets of Canopy, Hexo and Cronos.
- Bloomberg issued a report designating Canadian companies as the world leaders in the industry.
What all of this signifies is unparalleled opportunity, both for employers and employees. And importantly for Lock Search Group clients and candidates, it signals that the expertise they have developed in the past several years in the Life Sciences sector and in Consumer Products is converging.
It’s worth recalling that Canada legalized medical marijuana in 1998. For almost two decades Lock Search Group has been involved in recruiting the science-based talent involved in the medical side.
Several Lock consultants across Canada have a science or Health Care background that has enabled them to build a network of professionals who understand the complexities of researching, developing, marketing and distributed a restricted product. Combined with the branding and marketing experience of our Consumer Products team, Lock offers a depth of experience and expertise in the cannabis industry that is unrivalled.
Lock Search Group currently has 11 clients in Cannabis industry, as well as 3 clients in sectors associated with Cannabis Distribution. In the last 18 months alone, we placed 3 board members, along with:
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Vice President of Sales
- Director of Manufacturing
- Director of Government Affairs
- Dozens of other roles within sales, marketing, manufacturing and research
Lock Search Group has consultants recruiting for the Cannabis industry throughout Canada and the U.S. Their extensive network can be viewed at https://www.locksearchgroup.co,/our-offices/
Whether your organization is looking for executive leadership, or is in the process of building a team from the ground up, Lock can take you where you want to go. And if you’re a candidate, keep in mind that many positions are never advertised; if you have had demonstrated success in the pharmaceutical, logistics, manufacturing or beverage sectors, your skills are highly transferable.
The future of the Cannabis industry is beyond exciting. Contact your nearest Lock office to find out more.