Our client was founded more than 50 years ago in Montreal, Québec, is a pan-Canadian manufacturing company servicing mainly the rail industries with facilities in Montreal, Laval, Calgary, and Lethbridge. Our client offers its main customers in these industries integrated repair, refurbishment and upgrading services for locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars and diesel engines. They also manufacture custom replacement parts for rolling stock.
In Montreal, they operate Canada's largest repair and remanufacturing facility for rail rolling stocks. Major refurbishment adds about 20 years to the service life of vehicles and parts. With a testing facility that is the only one of its kind in Canada, and one of only three in North America that can test diesel engines of 1,000 to 6,000 HP. The company also works with its main customers on research and development projects to optimize the performance of new and reconditioned diesel engines, improving their energy consumption and reducing atmospheric emissions.
In Calgary, AB, they have been operating since 1991 and have won multiple Top 50 Small and Medium Business Award in recent years. Our client is the leading full-service railcar repair service facility in Western Canada and counts between 80 and 110 employees. The site is 125,000 ft2 and has a capacity for 180 cars onsite for either, mechanical, cleaning / blasting or painting work. The Company also provides mobile services to its customers.
A newly launched facility in Lethbridge, AB is also being developed and will be part of the mandate and will have to be brought into profitability area.
Focused on continuous improvement, with a vision to be a recognized leader in the Railcar Industry and a trusted source for its employees, its customers, and its vendors. The Company’s mission is to consistently deliver the highest level of quality, safety, service and value to their customers and employees in the safest way possible as a leader in the industry.
The General Manager will be responsible for overall operations, for the complete site P&L (profit and loss) and will also play a key role in increasing the market share.
The GM, together with the corporate executive team, will develop plans and strategies and execute actions to optimize and drive operations efficiencies and reliability to ensure railway materials deliver to customers on time and as per their quality requirements and/or internal standards, at the best possible cost; protecting the Corporation’s employees’ health and safety and preserving the environment.
The General Manager will work in close collaboration with the Corporation’s senior management and, with customers, suppliers, partners, and all other stakeholders as requested by the COO.
Mainly, you will set the tone within the Site Management team and act as a Maestro for every aspect of the business detailed below:
- Manage and maintain the highest standard of safety and quality in the facility.
- Participate, in collaboration with the Executives, to the company’s strategic and tactical plan development in which growth strategy will be crucial.
- With the site Management team, review results (financials and other KPIs) on an established and regular basis to derive preventative and corrective action plans that will include reviewing the individual performance for the Site Management team.
- Develop, implement, and track site KPIs. React rapidly to correct any negative discrepancy compared to targeted results. Participate in Profit and Loss (P&L) analysis, track relevant metrics and drive action items based on results.
- Direct company’s Railcar Repairs operations to meet budget and other financial goals.
- Direct daily departmental activities in order to meet production goals, corporation’s objectives and ensure continuous improvements.
- Plan and prepare justifications and requests and oversee implementation of Capital Expenditures (CapEx) projects.
- Work closely with the procurement, planning and production department to reduce waste of materials (raw materials and in-process materials) on the production floor as well as waste related to production inefficiencies.
- Select and develop personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the production function.
- Direct short-term and long-range planning and budget + staffing plans to support strategic business goals. Forecast operating costs of departments and directs preparation of budget requests.
- Complete management and operations processes harmonization and play a key role to create a ONE COMPANY culture in which every employee will take pride in being part of a major dynamic corporation.
- Develop and prioritize an auditing schedule to ensure designated projects/improvements are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure quality standards and cost reductions are achieved.
- Identify and implement operations best practices to facilitate best solutions and methods that will optimize processes in all areas of the business.
- Manage and lead cross-functional process improvement projects and business wide improvement initiatives.
- Participate in the review of customer contracts and quotations to later ensure proper production execution.
- Enforce Company policies & HR practices.
- Comply with the Corporation’s applicable policies and procedures.
- With the site HR Department, improve key staff retention strategies and/or deal with any type of employee complaints or disputes.
- Provide any requested operation analysis to the Executive team.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in Management, Engineering or Administration / Operations
- 10 to 15 years in Operations Management positions, preferably in heavy industries and at least, 5 years in a site leadership role
- Extensive background in establishing AND executing a wide scope of business strategies for company products and services that led to sustainable growth of revenues
- Experience in dealing and being accountable for results & overall performance to a Head-Office
- Experience with integration of business units into bigger organizational structures
- Successful track record and increasing responsibilities over the years
- Excellent communication skills and impeccable ethics
- Have a good knowledge of the MS Office suite and above all, an in-depth knowledge of Excel
- Previous experience in rail and/or in tank industries
- Master’s Degree
Profile & Competencies:
You are a candidate who is clearly a fit if you:
- Love to manage people (and inspire others), performance, growth, issues & roadblocks – the 4 being highly important!
- Are a hands-on team player and motivational leader with the ability to work collaboratively and cross functionally to achieve optimal results
- Are organized, autonomous and methodical
- Love juggling several files of varying complexity
- Have excellent judgement
- Have a contagious energy + an entrepreneurial mindset
- Have strong communication skills, and the ability to convince, challenge, and influence
- Have excellent presentation and selling skills across multiple audiences of management and national accounts
- Are able to live with the pressure of such a position
- Are ready to travel from time to time (between 5% and 10% of the time)
- Love teamwork and want to make a difference!
If you’re currently a General Manager or have been in the past but are currently in another role, and you’ve been looking for a new and exciting opportunity, this is the role you’ve been waiting for!
Apply today in confidence by directly emailing your resume to Jay Pinniger (Recruitment Consultant), firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for your interest, only individuals deemed to have the skill set and experience to fit the role will be contacted. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
Lock Search Group is a National Executive Recruitment firm with a dozen offices in Canada, a staff of more than 50 Consultants and Associates, and expertise in 11 major disciplines. Our mission is to provide exceptional Recruitment and Consulting Services to clients and candidates. We apply our experience and expertise to deliver solutions with a personalized approach that focuses on clients’ needs and candidates’ goals.