Our client, one of the world's most respected and successful cannabis and hemp companies, has pushed the industry forward internationally, and now is looking to do the same in the United States. Their mission to be the No. 1 hemp and hemp-derived CBD product company in the U.S. means they need incredible people to join them and help break down barriers.
Our client takes pride in a corporate culture that emphasizes inclusiveness, collaboration, and diversity. Their employees come from a wide range of backgrounds, each bringing their own unique skills and talents to the table, working together to continue and increase their incredible momentum of growth. They are excited to be expanding to the United States and want to continue hiring a diverse group of people in their American offices.
Reporting to the Director, Total Rewards & Employee Experience, the Manager, Benefits & Wellness is responsible for leading their global benefit, wellness and leave of absence programs, including disability management. You will be accountable for leading a team of benefit professionals who will assist in the creation of health and wellness programs ensuring alignment with our Total Rewards Strategy.
While this role will oversee the functional area globally, the primary focus will be oversight of the US and Canadian markets. As such, deep experience of managing benefits programs within the US is mandatory and some knowledge/experience doing the same for the Canadian market as well is ideal and is strong preferred. Our client is looking for a sharp, entrepreneurial, high-potential "doer" - someone who can roll up their sleeves and push things forward from a tactical perspective but has the ability and aptitude to rise above when needed and operate strategically.
This role is absolutely ideal for someone who is looking to assist in building a ground-breaking business, someone that is looking for something different where you can look back on your career and say that you were there at the birth of an unprecedented industry.
- Manage the administration of group benefits plans to ensure accurate, timely and efficient processing
- Conduct analysis and provide recommendations to create robust wellness programming to help employees focus on preventative health measures
- Lead the annual renewals and open enrollment activities including leadership engagement and employee communication
- Monitor program effectiveness to ensure alignment with total rewards strategy and financial modeling, researching best practices and recommending enhancements/changes as appropriate
- Prepare analysis, recommendations, and executive level reports to support program design based on data gathering, expertise, and market insights
- Ensure appropriate governance and oversight around group benefits plans including compliance with all state, provincial and federal regulations as applicable
- Provide timely expertise in managing benefits programs with focus on region-specific programming
- Lead and deliver analysis and reports, including cost projections, to support the recommendation of benefit plan changes, adding new benefits and wellness offerings, and ensuring overall program governance
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with benefits and wellness vendors, external consultants, and third-party administrators to ensure compliance with contract terms and conditions while leveraging vendors to continue to offer high-quality programs and maintain market competitiveness
- Act as the escalation point for internal and external inquiries relating to benefit plans, policies, and procedures, and to advise management on resolving benefit-related issues
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the disability programs (short term disability and long term disability), including workers compensation claims. This includes the administration, payroll documentation, communication with stakeholders and the coordination/management of return-to-work programs
- Assist with the quarterly review for health, group insurance, disability management and wellness plans, and annual open enrollment, which includes evaluation of costs, annual budget submission process and benefits audits
- Manage claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefit information to employees
- Conduct analysis and provide recommendations on executive benefit programs
- Maintain oversight of global disability management programs and market trends
- Keeps current on external trends and applicable benefits legislations. Research, analyze and interpret existing / proposed statutory requirements governing benefits and wellness plans and recommend appropriate course of action
- University Degree/College Diploma with a focus on Human Resources or equivalent
- Minimum 5-7 years of related experience
- Experience supporting regional benefit models is required, with specific focus on North America, Europe, APAC & LATAM
- Working knowledge of local regulations, filing and compliance requirements related to benefits administration and policy
- Must have extensive knowledge of benefit practice on a global scale
- Strong working knowledge of HRIS systems (Workday preferred)
- Working knowledge of Gmail and Google tools
- Comfortable working with large sets of data
- Experience with Canada Life an asset
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment which requires multi-tasking
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Team player with the ability to interact and build relationships at all levels within an organization
- Self-starter and able to work with minimal direction
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
This is a full-time position that would be remote-based supporting offices in Chicago, IL and Toronto, ONT.
We appreciate the interest from all candidates, and promise to review all applications, but we will only be contacting those who best fit the requirements. One last note: the chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
Thank you so much for your interest!