Reporting to the Senior Sales Manager, the Sales Account Manager is responsible for managing and growing a wholesale and food services business. This key position requires the successful candidate to work closely with the Canadian Sales, Marketing and meat processing operations teams toward meeting our shareholder expectations in terms of growth, returns, customer services and company values.
Sales, and Marketing:
- In conjunction with the Sales, Procurement and Marketing team researches and develops an annual sales plan in concert with developed sales strategies and where appropriate, long term marketing plans.
- Creates customer specific wholesale sales business plans and budgets, ensuring that they are complete, align with the objectives of the organization, and adhere to statutory requirements and are completed on time.
- Contributes to the planning, development, issuance and delivery of company promotional and sales communications materials.
Procurement Plan: Working closely with the Procurement team, reviews and confirms monthly and seasonal inventory replenishment orders in line with the annual sales plan and shifting customer demand, as well, keeps the Procurement team aware of any planned and new feature/ad activity that will require additional product.
Customer & Distribution Relationship Management:
- Maintains and strengthens mutually beneficial, profitable, effective and enduring customer relationships with superior communications, programs, and distribution strategies toward strategic and exclusive/primary supply contracts with our major wholesale and food service customers.
- In accordance with the strategic objectives of the organization, identifies prospective customers and distribution channels and actively develops relationships with the view to convert into profitable and sustainable business. Maintains continuous contact with designated clients at both the buying and senior management levels and regular contact with select industry counterparts and intercompany peers.
- Maintains a strong market intelligence network to keep abreast of competitive activities and customer developments to safeguard the company’s financial and volume interests.
Logistics and Transportation: Communicates the channels of distribution in the region in conjunction with Transportation and Logistics team to ensure timely, reliable deliveries of customer orders. Monitors stocks on hand in regional storage centres maintaining proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation.
Supplier Relations: In addition to regular communications with the Procurement and Marketing team, communicates regularly with major suppliers to educate and keep an edge and advantage over the competition in terms of current market events and trends.
- Achieves all financial, customer, product, and business goals in the wholesale and food services market in every product line on a monthly and annual basis.
- Reviews and monitors accounts receivables for specific accounts, ensuring prompt payments are received so as to reduce company exposure to bad debts and to improve cash flow. Ensures that the Senior Sales Manager is kept informed of all pertinent development risks, opportunities, and information relating to designated market.
- Prepares monthly territory reports and general comments on customer’s products versus plan and market activity.
- As approved by the Senior Sales Manager prepares and undertakes professional development.
Business Development: Identifies and considers opportunities for business growth and development. Works with the Marketing team to identify and execute new wholesale and foodservice product opportunities. Works closely with the Sales team and maintains a network of influencers, stakeholders, and others who may assist in the identification, analysis, validation, and conversion of new business opportunities. Makes recommendations where appropriate to pursue and convert such opportunities.
- Achieves all wholesale and food service brands and sales, market share, volume, revenue, profit and accounts receivable objectives on a monthly and annual basis for the territory, ensuring retention and growth of the wholesale and food services client base.
- While adhering to company inventory targets, ensures the successful delivery of wholesale and food services products within the Company’s approved procurement programs at all times and throughout the region, fully satisfying customer supply needs.
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
- 10 years’ experience in wholesale and food services sales developing and implementing sales and strategy in a sizeable North American or Global Food Services Industry manufacturer and distributor, where international supply and distribution expertise is an asset.
- Prior experience in wholesale protein sales and would have conducted business with Gordon Food Service, Sysco, Hello Fresh and other wholesalers experience is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Thorough understanding of the wholesale and food services business including setting sales budgets , creating sales and marketing strategies, and executing forward sales plans.
- Ability to assist with creating promotional campaigns across all media and platforms.
- Understanding of selling fresh and frozen attribute based premium grass fed protein (beef, lamb, venison, mutton, and goat) an asset.
- Fluency in English.
- Demonstrated skills in sales planning and execution. Displays strong commercial acumen. Analyses key drivers, opportunities, and competitive advantages to develop and execute on strategies to benefit the Company’s business. Has been able to develop and convert strategic business relationships into valuable business. High degree of expertise in contract negotiation, structuring, setting, and managing sales quota and revenue goals.
- Understands and has appropriate relationships and a track record of securing supply to ensure fulfillment of customer needs.
- Demonstrates professionalism throughout the organization and is a credible and trustworthy person who holds the respect and loyalty of all stakeholders; has tenacity in pursuing goals and ensures that personal goals align with and contribute to attainment of Company goals.
- Is open to and accepts taking on such responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Sales Manager, to support achievement of annual and strategic business goals.
- Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and travel demands that come with responsibility as Sales Account Manager for the Lamb Company’s operations.
- Must have strong Excel skills and knowledge of Presentation and ERP software.