Accounting Manager – Agriculture & Farming sector
Our client is an innovative, forward-thinking, and well-respected farming and agricultural organization, with decades of measurable success. They have selected the Lock Search Group to partner with them in their search for a strategic Accounting Manager to lead their finance department and aid them in their quest to scale and grow. The right leader for this opportunity will need to possess a background dealing with ‘short shelf-life commodities’ given the unique nature of the segment as a food producer. That said, direct experience from the farming sector is not necessary.
The Accounting Manager will exhibit strong technical accounting proficiency, along with thorough attention to detail and disciplined prioritization. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to employ critical thinking & creativity to support and deliver solutions to enhance profitable internal processes.
In this role, you'll lead month-end accounting tasks, ensuring accurate journal entries and account reconciliations. You'll offer support for special projects, enhance internal controls, and implement process improvements. The Accounting Manager will oversee payroll, tax compliance, GST, WCB & AR/AP. This position will also take a strategic lead with Human Resources and people management. Additionally, you'll provide insightful financial analysis, develop budgets, and recommend performance metrics for informed decision-making and operational excellence. The professional our client is looking to bring into the company will be a strategic partner to the ownership team, as they look to expand and improve.
- Directing month-end accounting tasks through thorough review of journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Providing support for special projects/initiatives and offering ad-hoc reporting/analysis as requested by leadership.
- Managing internal controls, proposing enhancements for sustained financial data integrity, and implementing process improvements for day-to-day accounting, month-end closure, and reconciliations.
- Managing and supporting the Finance team across Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Payroll, and Bookkeeper to achieve accurate and timely deliverables.
- Compiling and evaluating monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for multiple projects.
- Collecting, analyzing, investigating, and reporting financial data to aid stakeholder decision-making.
- Take a leadership role with Human Resource functions alongside the ownership group, including people management, office administration and functions
- Developing budgets, presenting monthly variance analysis and forecasts.
- Keeping the organization informed about current trends and opportunities.
- Recommending benchmark metrics for measuring company performance.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting is essential.
- Bachelor’s in Finance, Business, or Accounting (CPA not required)
- Direct experience and knowledge short shelf-life commodities is necessary. For example, a past track record and accounting experience within farming/agriculture sector, food production, food distribution, or similar industries is required
- Analytical thinker and ability to readily grasp new concepts and adapt to a fast paced, everchanging environments.
- Problem-solver with a flare for innovation
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to adapt to multiple demands, set priorities and achieve results on a timely basis.
- Strong knowledge of accounting and financial principles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and Office Suite.
- Detail-oriented and a strong communicator, but a team player that can collaborate and brings ‘no ego’.
If you’re an accounting professional who has a background in agricultural or a similar industry, and is eager to work for an organization that is proud of being an engaged partner in their local community, apply today. This position comes with a unique growth plan as our client is highly motivated to grow through acquisition, internal scaling and expansion, and additional entrepreneurial initiatives. To apply directly please send your resume to Cameron Lappin by using the “Apply Now” button.
Thank you in advance for your interest, only individuals deemed to have the skill set and experience to fit the role will be contacted. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers that do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, provincial or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities upon request.
Follow us on LinkedIn!