Controller – Construction & Development
Our client is a national leader in the construction and development industry. Lock Search Group’s, Cameron Lappin has been retained to assist in their search for an experienced Controller to join the leadership team of this inspired organization. In this role, you will oversee the preparation of annual consolidated working papers and financial statements for the corporate parent company, providing hands-on guidance where needed. This position will report out of their Vancouver office within the heart of the Financial District.
The Controller’s responsibilities will involve coordinating audit activities for more than 30 audits and review engagements across individual projects within the portfolio. Additionally, you will be responsible for managing short-term (3 – 6 month) cash flow requirements, identifying corporate cash flow needs, and determining viable cash sources. You'll play a crucial role in supporting the Finance department by negotiating and administrating loan documents, while also providing accounting technical support to various entities, assisting in the setup of accounting systems and policies, evaluating Accounting ERP needs, and ensuring accurate reporting. Your expertise will extend to resolving day-to-day accounting challenges, collaborating with different departments, and providing support to the accounting team in project development, property management, and corporate functions, including the review of internally prepared financial statements. A strong background in Audits & Consolidations will be essential to success in this position.
- Directly supervise staff members responsible for preparing comprehensive annual consolidated working papers and financial statements for the corporate parent company, including all necessary supporting documentation, providing hands-on guidance as needed.
- Manage and orchestrate all audit-related activities for more than 30 audits and review engagements across various individual projects within the portfolio.
- Assume responsibility for the meticulous maintenance of books and records for the corporate parent company within the organizational structure.
- Strategically oversee short-term (3 – 6 month) cash flow requisites for the organization, projecting and identifying all corporate cash flow needs while determining viable cash sources.
- Play an integral role in supporting the Finance department by negotiating and administering all loan agreements, while continuously tracking the status of existing and potential loans.
- Offer specialized accounting technical assistance to the Property Management, Project Development, and corporate entities, including advisory input on novel corporate structure plans and agreements.
- Collaborate in the establishment of accounting systems, protocols, and procedures for nascent operations or entities.
- Undertake an assessment of current and prospective Accounting ERP necessities, with the objective of proposing and implementing a company-wide system conversion.
- Conduct thorough reviews of contracts, pinpointing accounting, tax, reporting, cash flow, and insurance requisites to disseminate valuable insights.
- Provide unwavering support to the accounting team in diagnosing and resolving day-to-day challenges spanning systems and controls, accounting and tax matters, approvals, and contracts.
- Collaborate across diverse organizational departments to construct and maintain precise and timely reporting mechanisms, while establishing policies, systems, and staffing for new branches when the need arises.
- Extend support to all accounting personnel engaged in project development, property management, and corporate functions, ensuring the sustained efficiency of a 35-member team's accounting operations.
- Conduct thorough reviews of internally prepared financial statements by the accounting staff, ensuring accuracy and adherence to standards.
- CPA designation with a minimum of 5 years of progressive accounting experience and responsibilities, showcasing a solid grasp of various aspects of the industry.
- Must have a strong background in Consolidation & Audit Experience
- Strong technical knowledge in a range of areas including IFRS, ASPE, foreign exchange, and real estate, coupled with the ability to swiftly grasp complex accounting and legal concepts.
- Experience in real estate property management and project development accounting
- Proficiency in utilizing Yardi and Timberline accounting systems, reflecting a familiarity with industry-specific tools.
- Advanced computer skills, including a high level of proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, as well as the capability to perform intricate data manipulation tasks for generating comprehensive reports.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, facilitating effective interaction with various stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and managerial acumen, coupled with the ability to adapt to and prioritize multiple demands, ensuring timely and efficient results.
- An analytical mindset, enabling the quick assimilation of new concepts and adaptation to a rapidly changing environment.
- The versatility to work across diverse environments and personalities, encompassing construction sites, operations, and corporate headquarters.
- As this role continues to evolve with the Company's expansion and changing dynamics, it requires an individual who is adaptable and responsive to evolving demands.
If you’re an experienced Accounting Professional looking to move into a Controller role and join an industry leading organization apply today, by sending your resume to Cameron Lappin by using the “Apply Now” button.
Follow us on LinkedIn!