Lock Search Group is proud to partner with our client to help them find a Director of Human Resources. This position is a full-time, on-site opportunity in Annapolis Royal. Travel will be required to store sites and rented training spaces.
As a Director of Human Resources, you will be responsible for developing and implementing HR strategies and initiatives that will be aligned with the organization’s overall business culture. You will help to orchestrate a productive working environment in all seven business locations across the southwestern region of Nova Scotia. You will help store managers and others in the leadership team, build, develop and produce a highly functional retail team. This position will be a key strategic partner of the senior leadership team of the organization.
The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for the effective administration of Human Resource functions including but not limited to staff recruitment, staff relations, communications, performance management, compensation, benefits administration, and health & safety. You will need to be highly knowledgeable in Canadian labor laws, Disability and Workers’ Compensation claims, and human rights practices.
You will provide administrative and expert support to our client’s leadership team. To be successful in this position, you must be flexible to work weekdays, and occasionally work weekends during seasonal hiring and job fair needs.
- Responsible for administration of Human Resource functions including but not limited to recruitment, communication, staff relations, performance management, compensation, benefits administration, and health and safety.
- Manage the recruitment process: advertising, posting, screening resumes, interviews, orientations, and follow-ups.
- Produce clear and complete written reports/presentations that meet the needs of the business.
- Manage staff relations including workplace issues, and conflicts, and support leadership team for disciplinary actions, up to and including termination of employment.
- Oversee Benefits to manage long-term disability, workers’ compensation claims, and return-to-work programs.
- Conduct investigations as required regarding Health and Safety
- Develop, manage, and communicate HR policies, procedures, and new strategic programs to ensure compliance with legislation and employment laws.
- Develop company compensation and benefits allocation and administration
- Responsible for maintaining personnel records accurately and confidentially.
- Help develop employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health
- Build positive working relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Work closely with the leadership team to build morale, and engagement and increase productivity and retention.
- Member of the Health and Safety leadership program
- College/University diploma or degree in Human Resources, Communication or related experience. CPHR designation would be considered an asset or a willingness to work toward CPHR designation.
- Demonstrated experience in end-to-end recruitment
- Knowledge/experience working with Employment Standards and other relevant legislation beneficial with the ability to interpret legislation.
- Experience with both employee relations and talent programs with effective facilitation skills rolling out HR programs is beneficial.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of the retail business and culture would be beneficial.
- Ability to handle complex and difficult situations with thought and confidence.
- Excellent computer skills, and experience in using Microsoft office products. Experience with and understanding of HRIS beneficial.
- Ability to work additional or varied hours as required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Travel as required.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to successfully prioritize, coordinate and manage multiple competing priorities.
- Detail-oriented with a focus on delivering high-quality work.
Thank you in advance for your interest, only individuals deemed to have the skill set and experience to fit the role will be contacted. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers that do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, provincial or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities upon request.