As one of the leading national MGA’s, our client is continuing their growth throughout Canada and we are partnered with them exclusively on a search for a Chief Underwriting Officer to add to their executive team. This is a key position in the organization as they continue their growth and expansion. The Chief Underwriting Officer will report directly to the President and is responsible for the overall strategic direction and operations of the entire underwriting division. This position could be based out of either Vancouver or Toronto.
- As part of the executive team, the CUO works closely with others on the leadership team to develop underwriting strategies that aligns with the overall company strategic plans.
- Manage and establish underwriting guidelines, best practices, underwriting referrals, underwriting audits and processes.
- Partner closely with leaders to analyze management reports and identifies issues that are inconsistent with all department and plan objectives related to pricing, loss trends, and exposure.
- Partner with Operations to ensure that Underwriting department is maximizing efficiencies.
- Assist with budget preparation (for underwriting department) and development of all company business plans.
- Collaborating with the various VPs to evaluate authority levels, develop pricing and underwriting strategies to attain and improve profitable growth.
- Working in conjunction with Executive team maintaining, enhancing and developing Carrier Relationships/Partnerships working in co-ordination with Executive team.
- Maintain a strong marketing presence with Agents and Brokers to develop new business and retention goals and the execution of internal & external strategic initiatives as appropriate.
- Working with Director of Claims on emerging claims issues and loss experience/trends.
- Provide leadership and mentoring of underwriting team.
- Maintaining contact and relationship with brokers and agents as necessary.
- Be a leader in building an inclusive and diverse corporate culture.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in underwriting.
- At least 10 years experience in leadership.
- Post Secondary education, ideally a bachelor’s degree in a business preferred.
- CIP or FCIP.
- Strategic and creative underwriting skills with deep industry and competitor insight.
- Strong financial/strategic planning skills understanding the financial relationships, dependencies, trends, patterns, risks and potential returns within the respective business.
- Provide technical guidance and serves as a point of contact for clients/users, external contacts, and internal colleagues advises others on technical issues.
- Ability to use sound judgment and effective decision-making skills
- Demonstrated track record in managing, coaching, and motivating staff.
- Demonstrated evidence of success in managing operations and staff in strategic planning, underwriting and marketing functions within a competitive environment.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to travel as needed up to 30%.
We thank all interested applicants, however only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.